During the British colonial administration in 1899, the building of what now is the Kuala Lumpur City Gallery was built as the administration hub for the newly founded capital of Federated Malay States. The overall architecture and feel of the building’s facade was designed based on renaissance influence.
It was later in the 1961 that the building was taken over by the Ministry of Labor, followed by a conversion to the Metropolitan Postal Security Office in 1977. One of it’s major changes took place in 1986, whereby the Kuala Lumpur City Hall bought over the building and turning it into the first ever public library in Kuala Lumpur.
From there onwards, the building have had its interior furnished with numerous research on all things Kuala Lumpur, from it’s history, development, architecture, as well as being a hub for multiple exhibitions and events connected to the heritage of the city. It has now developed since into what it is today, the Kuala Lumpur City Gallery.